THE GARDEN CLUB OF PHILADELPHIA
The Garden Club of Philadelphia, the country's oldest, was officially founded as The Garden Club in May, 1904, at Andalusia, the home of Mrs. Charles Biddle. Over the next few years we acquired our logo, our motto (Furor Hortensis - translated as "Garden Mad"), and our current name. Our early members founded the Pennsylvania School of Horticulture for Women in Ambler, PA in 1911 (now part of Temple University).....
OUR COMMUNITY PROJECTS
The Garden Club of Philadelphia has, from its inception, been involved in community and civic projects, directed by its Mission Statement which states that the Club is "to aid in the protection and beautification of publicly used areas and historic properties and to address community needs in horticulture, conservation, environment, and related fields."
THE PHILADELPHIA COMMITEE OF THE GARDEN CLUB OF AMERICA
The Philadelphia Committee of the Garden Club of America was conceived in 1964 by three women seeking to bring together the talents and resources of area members of the national organization, The Garden Club Of America (GCA), to take on and accomplish major horticultural projects in Philadelphia that would be beyond the reach of any one club or small organization.